Vitamin B12 injection service is now available at selected McCabes pharmacies:
Vitamin B12 deficiency anaemia occurs when a lack of vitamin B12 or folate causes the body to produce abnormally large red blood cells that cannot function properly.
Symptoms of vitamin B12 or folate deficiency
- Extreme tiredness
- A lack of energy
- Pins and needles
- A sore and red tongue
- Mouth ulcers
- Muscle weakness
- Disturbed vision
- Problems with memory, understanding and judgement
- Psychological problems, which may include depression and confusion
What can cause a vitamin B12 or folate deficiency
- Pernicious anaemia- where your body cannot absorb B12 from your diet
- A lack of vitamins in your diet
- Certain medication.
Frequently Asked Questions
From what age can I avail of this service?
- From 18 years of age
Do I need a prescription?
- Yes. Your GP will do a blood test to determine whether you need treatment.
How is it administered?
- It is administered by one or our trained pharmacists via intramuscular injection into the deltoid region (upper arm) in our one our private consultation rooms
How often do I need to receive a B12 injection?
- This is determined by your doctor based on your levels. The frequency of injections will vary.
- It is important that you continue to visit your doctor for any monitoring or scheduled reviews of your medication.
What is the cost of the service?
- €20 administration charge
- *on foot of a valid prescription