How is ellaOne® taken?
ellaOne® is taken as a single tablet. Swallow the tablet with water. You can take the tablet before, after or without a meal. It is important to take it as soon as possible and that you take it within 120 hours of having unprotected sex.
If you are sick within three hours of taking ellaOne® you will need to take another tablet.
Who cannot take ellaOne®?
You cannot take ellaOne®:
- If it has been more than 5 days (120 hours) since you had unprotected sex
- If you are pregnant
- If you are breastfeeding
- If you are allergic to any of its ingredients
- If you are suffering from severe asthma or liver disease
Tell your pharmacist about any medication that you are currently taking before taking ellaOne® including:
- Medicines to treat epilepsy
- Medicines used to treat HIV
- Antacids for indigestion
- St Johns Wort
Does ellaOne® cause any side effects?
Common side effects include:
- Nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain
- Mood swings
- Painful next period, breast tenderness, pelvic pain
- Muscle and back pain
Uncommon side effects include:
- Digestive problems such as diarrhoea, dry mouth, heartburn and wind
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding and menstrual disorder (heavy or prolonged periods, premenstrual syndrome)
- Vaginal inflamation, vaginal discharge
- Influenza, fever or chills
- Hot flushes
- Changes in appetite
- Emotional disorders including anxiety, agitation, trouble sleeping, sleepiness, decreased or increased libido
- Skin problems including acne, lesions and itching
- Migraine symptoms
- Visual disturbances
Does ellaOne® have an effect on your period?
After taking ellaOne® you might find that you have your next period early or late. This is not unusual. If your next period is unusually heavy or unusually light you should see a doctor to check whether you are pregnant
Does ellaOne® cause bleeding?
ellaOne® can cause the side effect of bleeding or spotting, although this is uncommon. Speak to a doctor if you experience heavy or prolonged bleeding.
Does ellaOne® react with alcohol?
There is no known interaction between ellaOne® and alcohol. Drinking alcohol does not reduce the effectiveness of ellaOne®
After your in-store pharmacy consultation, should a refund be due, it is our policy to refund the original form of payment. We will refund to the credit card which was used as payment through our website using the secure online payment system, or via PayPal if this was the payment method used.
What age do i need to be to purchase emergency contraception?
Emergency contraception is only available for click and collect to patients 18 + years who meet the necessary medical criteria.
Emergency contraception is not available for click and collect to patients aged 16-17 years, these patients can only access emergency contraception by presenting into a pharmacy store.