Have you ever left the doctors surgery and though, “Oh no, I meant to ask him/her about …..?”
We recommend you make a list of questions you need to ask, before you go to the doctor so you can make the most of your visit. Also ask a close friend or family member to go with you if appropriate to help remember everything said. Most doctors are happy for you to do this and want you to be informed about your medical problems. Some sample questions you may ask include:
- What might be causing the signs and symptoms?
- Do I need tests to confirm the diagnosis?
- What is the best course of action?
- What are the alternatives to the approach that you’re suggesting?
- What will happen if I don’t follow this treatment?
- How long will I have this condition for?
- Is there an appropriate generic alternative to the medicine you’re prescribing?
- Is there anything I should know (side effects or lifestyle changes) about this treatment?
- I have other medical problems; how can I manage them together?
- Can I wait to see if the condition resolves on its own?
- What lifestyle/ diet changes do you recommend?
- When will the symptoms stop/ get better?
Don’t hesitate to ask any other questions that come up during your appointment.